The scope of the assignment was to provide technical assistance to EDSNA, the Solid Waste Management Association of Attica Region, to implement a regional program for the separate collection of biowaste.
EDSNA commissioned the supply of biowaste collection equipment and awareness material to support municipalities in establishing pilot programs for the separate collection of biowaste and to boost recycling at regional level
Within this frame EPTA undertook the following activities:
- planning and monitoring of the equipment supply,
- production of the awareness material
- implementation of training & awareness activities
- provision of technical support to the municipalities
- monitoring & benchmarking of the recycling performance at regional level
- establishment of a monitoring & evaluation framework for EDSNA.
Through this initiative 34 municipalities established a pilot biowaste separate collection network, and prepared the ground for the replication and the universal implementation of biowaste recycling, as per the requirements of national legislation.